Thursday, August 13, 2026

Perseids Meteor Shower Peak - August 12-13 2026

 


The local astronomy club I created (the Lampasas Stargazers) spent the night in rural Lampasas, Texas enjoying the Perseids meteor shower peak on August 12-13. We were there from around 8pm to 5am - so it was a big night! The Milky Way shone brightly overhead, and conditions were generally excellent despite some occasional wind gusts.

The meteor shower was really great. We saw a wide range of meteors, from "short and sweet" to bigger fireballs which left vapor trails behind them. The meteor rate was hard to determine, but maybe an average of around 20 per hour? 

I had the Dwarf3 smart scope and my Nikon D750 firing away. Photos of meteors never seem to do them justice, but I'll post a couple here. The video above is a two-hour time lapse showing star trails and meteor activity looking towards the north from our location. 




No comments: