Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Astro Wizard


I spent some time messing around with Astro Wizard tonight. It's a free image processing software package. Free. Did I say free?

It takes your stacked images (like, say from Deep Sky Stacker, also free!) and guides you through processing to get a great final image. It will handle both color and narrowband. You'll need to download two free (!) additional packages to use with it - BlurXTerminator and Starnet2.
The software literally guides you through the various processing workflows depending on what sort of image you're wanting to process - color or narrowband.
I just ran two stacked files from DSS through it for grins. Both took me 5 mins or so each. Results are attached (M45 Pleiades and NGC7000 North American Nebula). The NGC7000 image was translated to the Hubble Palette, also included in Astro Wizard! Some final tweaking to my liking was performed in Lightroom.
You might want to check it out. Way easier and cheaper (i.e. free!) than PixInsight, and may be better and easier than SIRIL, which I am not familiar with.
This will also work with stacked images from smart scopes like the Dwarves and Seestars.
Go check it out. I'm impressed with it, and it makes processing super easy for those figuring this all out.

No comments: