Monday, September 14, 2026

The North American Nebula - Hubble Palette.


I've been attempting for an image like this throughout the years. I used a ZWO DuoBand filter to focus on the hydrogen and oxygen in the area. In PixInsight, I deployed a script that converts OSC data to Hubble HSO, revealing Hyrdrogen and Oxygen throughout this part of the sky.

The North America Nebula (cataloged as NGC 7000) is a large emission nebula located approximately 2,200 light-years from Earth in the constellation Cygnus, near the bright star Deneb. Spanning roughly 90 light-years across, its striking shape—which remarkably resembles the continent of North America, complete with a prominent dark "Gulf of Mexico"—is caused by glowing, ionized hydrogen gas energized by intense ultraviolet radiation from massive nearby stars

Image Details:

- Imaging Scope: William Optics 61mm ZenithStar APO

- Imaging Camera: ZWO ASI2600MC Color with ZWO DuoBand filter

- Guiding Equipment: Celestron Starsense Autoguider

- Acquisition Software: Sharpcap

- Guiding Software: Celestron

- Light Frames: 25*6 mins @ 100 Gain, Temp -15C

- Dark Frames: 10*6 mins

- Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker

- Processed in PixInsight (incl. Hubble HSO palette from OSC)), Adobe Lightroom and Topaz Denoise

No comments: